I couldn't resist this week because I am in full on countdown mode for our huge family vacation in July. So, in Katy's words:
Now that summer is in full swing here… and vacations are coming up, let’s talk about what you’re packing to take on vacation.Okay, so here we go:
1. When it comes to packing for vacation what’s your mantra?
"No one will know that you already wore that three times this week." Truth. Even before I started thinking critically about how much to pack, I noticed that I'd reach for the same seven to ten pieces while I was on vacation. Why pack more if that's all I'm going to wear?
2. What are your must packs?
Because most of my vacations involve the beach (I'm from an island; I need some ocean in my life!) and I hate cold weather, this will skew tropical (or at least warm weather).
- One dress for going out
- Two to three sundresses
- Basic skirt
- Comfortable sandals for walking (I'm obsessed with my Rainbows for this purpose)
- Lightweight cardigan
- One or two swimsuits (like I said, I love me some beach)
- One or two sarongs
- Three more pairs of unders than days of vacation
- Three to four tops
- A pair of heels
- A handful of accessories
- Toiletries and make-up
3. What are you happy to leave behind?
So, this is not what the question is looking for, but I'm happiest to leave work behind. For real. Also, I like the creativity and simplicity of a limited wardrobe. Is that me just putting a positive reinforcement spin on this question?
4. Any packing secrets that help you get everything into one suitcase?
Right, so I'm an Army brat, I have always lived hundreds of miles from most of my family, and I'm an avid traveler - all of that means that I have a lot of packing experience. Oh, and B and I packed for three years in six suitcases. Here are my tips:
- Repeat to yourself: "No one will know if I wear the same thing three times in a week."
- Pick your favorite items, because you already know how to remix them.
- Roll. You can pack so much stuff in a bag when you roll!
- Wear your heaviest, bulkiest items and plan to wear that same outfit when you travel back home.
- Pack solid toiletries whenever possible: shampoo bars, conditioner bars, solid perfume, soap in bars.... They take up less space and spare you the hassle that is taking out liquids for airport security.
- Travel and sample size liquids are your friends.
- Limit make-up: bronzer, powder, blush, and mascara usually do it for me.
- Carry a big purse - put a change of clothes - and pajamas - in it. (You never know when you'll lose a suitcase.)
- You can check out my packing posts here.
5. Beach reading… what are you taking with you to read in the sand?
Whatever's free for Kindle on Amazon. That is the reason I read three or four books a week these days....
Now I'll be thinking of what I'm packing for our vacation in July - a week long Caribbean cruise to celebrate my parent's thirtieth wedding anniversary. They're the cutest, y'all - they're celebrating by taking both daughters with their husbands (and my sweet niece) on a cruise. I'm beyond excited to get some sun because while you're enjoying summer in the Northern Hemisphere, here in Costa Rica, we're experiencing "invierno" - rain, rain, and more rain.
So how about y'all? Any tips for packing? What do you take with you on vacation? What the heck should I pack for a cruise?