Friday, December 17, 2010

Friend Friday - Holiday Party Wear

Friend Friday!
This week we're talking about

Holiday Party Wear

This'll be short and sweet because I'm not a huge holiday party kind of girl.

1. Which holiday party are you looking forward to attending this year?
Okay, so being from a very traditional Puerto Rican family, holiday party should instead be family get together. And seriously, how do you NOT look forward to a family get together that revolves around the best food in the world? So, I'm looking forward to celebrating the New Year and Three Kings' Day with my family.

2. What is your go-to holiday party outfit?
A dress. Although, really to be fair, this depends on where I'm spending Christmas. If I'm in VA with my parents, it'll be a dress that'll keep my relatively warm, tights, and heels. If I'm in MI with B's family - this'll be the first year that I spend it there - I'm thinking pants (ugh), a fancy top, a cardigan, and boots. But the key in all things is to leave room for obscene amounts of food.
Last year, we were in Puerto Rico for Christmas and celebrated Christmas Eve at my uncles' house with a very traditional meal. I wore the black dress below and my grey patent pumps for it because the weather was perfect and the dress is flowy enough to hide the fact that I've had too much lechon for my own good. (PS I'll update this with one from that night once I get home and have access to those pictures...)

On the 25th, which I spent with B's family and then giving all our friends a tour of Old San Juan, I wore a little yellow sundress from Target and a cardigan because it was Puerto Rico chilly (read: 70 degrees F).
Walking from El Morro
I know what y'all are thinking: "That's not Christmas-y at all!" My response: it is when you're in the tropics. Mmm, the tropics...

3. Do you go dressed in something that would be impractical to wear at any other time of the year?
Last year, since we were getting married, I wanted to get some fancy schmancy impractical dress and be all like, "This is my wedding! I'm going to dress like a rock star!" And then I couldn't make myself buy anything that I couldn't wear again. I got this dress for the rehearsal dinner and have worn it a million times (give or take) since then. Excuse the forced smile - I was way stressed because it was the day before our wedding.

So, no, totally not wearing anything impractical.

4. If you are going to a house-party, what gift will you bring to the host/hostess?
I guess we kind of did this last weekend, but we do a white elephant exchange, so I brought an old discman and a ton of cheesy CDs. I bet you're sad you weren't there to get it. Also, I brought BBQ black bean soup because it was also a potluck. You know how we do.

5. If you could buy only one trendy piece to update your holiday party wardrobe, what would you get this year?
A sequined tank. Which I did get, but I can't find the exact one anywhere on the internet. When I say I can't find it anywhere, I mean I searched two places and got bored.

For more thoughts and ideas on holiday party wear, check out ModlyChic!

P.S. Yes, you will soon see pictures of our wedding in Puerto Rico, I promise.

3 comments:

  1. That's funny we both said sequin tops for the answer to #5!!!! There is something about sparkly tops that make me think of the holidays.

    http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a lot of fun during the holidays. The black dress fits you so well, I love it when clothes fit me right because I feel I look so much taller.
    I feel that if I can't buy something that I can at least wear three or four different ways it's really not as resourceful of a garment as I would like for it to be. But I must admit I love wearing formal gowns on occasions like for example my Church anniversary.
    Can wait to see the pics from your wedding in Puerto Rico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a lot of fun during the holidays. The black dress fits you so well, I love it when clothes fit me right because I feel I look so much taller.
    I feel that if I can't buy something that I can at least wear three or four different ways it's really not as resourceful of a garment as I would like for it to be. But I must admit I love wearing formal gowns on occasions like for example my Church anniversary.
    Can wait to see the pics from your wedding in Puerto Rico.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.