Friday, May 6, 2011

Friend Friday: Shoes

It's time for another Friend Friday, brought to you by Katy of Modly Chic. I've been a real slacker about participating, but I couldn't resist this particular subject.

This week, we're talking shoes. (Cue choirs of heavenly angels here.)

1. What is your go-to pair of shoes?
I'm pretty sure this will come as no surprise, but I'm going to say my Aldo booties.

If you don't believe me, just click right here and see all the ways I've worn them. And y'all? I paid $45 for them at the outlet. Original price was something ridiculous like $130 or something, and there was no way I was ever going to part with that much money for a pair of shoes, no matter how perfect. Mostly because I'm cheap; I wasn't poor then, just cheap - now I'm both.
Anyway, the color and the just slightly funky style make them a natural for just about any outfit.

2. What goes into your shoe buying decisions?
I'm going to say I have a three-step process for buying shoes:

  1. Are they affordable?  As mentioned above, I'm cheap, and I've gotten decent quality leather boots for $60.  I won't pay more than $80 for leather boots, $45 for pumps, and $30 for sandals.  Even then, they better last me forEVER because I want value.  Case in point: I paid $60 for these Nine West cowboy boots like, seven or eight years ago.  I can't even remember how long I've had them and they're still around and kicking.
    From 2010-09-30
  2. Are they comfortable?  Y'all: I'm a teacher.  I'm on my feet all. Day. Long.  That said, I'm also shorter than most of my students - at least that was the case when I taught in the States - so I like heels to give me a bit of authority - more presence, perhaps.  They force me to stand up straighter and walk with more purpose.  I'm not going to sacrifice authority for comfort or comfort for authority, so I'm going to make my shoes give me both.  Pass the comfortable heels, please.  
  3. Can I wear them with everything else I've got in my closet?  I've got very few shoes that I don't wear with skirts because we all know I'd rather wear skirts than anything else.  Yes, there are shoes that I need for specific activities (hiking or working out) but for the most part, I want versatile shoes.  Versatility, of course, has nothing to do with color in my world.  Bright shoes are easy for me to work into my mostly neutral palette.  
3. The majority of the shoes in your closet are what color?
Actually, right now, they're brown - shades of brown.  The shoes I've got back in the States though, are in a rainbow of colors that I miss more than I can adequately express.  (Dear red, electric blue, and yellow pumps: I miss you so.   Also, leopard print peep toes, I wish I had at least one of you here with me.  We could cuddle.)

4. When it comes to designer shoes what are your favorite brands and why?
Real designers, I don't even play that game because it just makes me wish I had stuff I can't afford (and would feel way guilty about paying for anyway).  As far as brands that I love: Nine West, Steve Madden, and Aldo for heels.  They just work with my feet - comfortable, walkable, stylish, and affordable.

5. If price wasn’t an issue, you’d own which shoe?
I've got two options for this one.
First, these Brian Atwood pumps:

Second, these Fluevogs.  These shoes win an award for being the first pair of Fluevogs I actually thought were cute.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.