Thursday, July 8, 2010

Patterned skirt challenge, aka #4

30 for 30 Banner


Grey tee: Target
Black cami: Jockey
Patterned skirt: Target
Gladiators: Chinese Laundry (remixed)
Earrings: No idea
Belt: Target
Headband: Scünci via Target

So part of my30x30 challenge was to get some more use out of items I like a lot but rarely wear. The tee and skirt above are prime examples. I'll admit that I have only recently started wearing prints, and to be honest, most of my wardrobe is made up of solid colors - mostly neutrals. It's nice and safe. So I've got this skirt and it's got this wild print, it's full, and it has an elastic waistband. These are three of my challenges when it comes to styling it. Most of my tops are too long to wear untucked with a full skirt and you know how weird it looks to tuck something into an elastic waistband? So I rarely wear it, but I look at it in my closet and think, "It's so stinkin' cute! I love the pattern and the colors, so why aren't I wearing that skirt?"


So I threw it in the 30x30 pile and now I have no choice but to wear it. I decided to wear this grey tee with it, which would've felt like a huge stretch not too long ago (grey and ORANGE?!), but it doesn't feel too wild now.


I tucked the shirt in and hid the elastic waistband with a belt. Hello, waist definition!


Yellow gladiators and a tortoiseshell headband finished it up nicely. I'm convinced these gladiators go with EVERYTHING without being too boring.


So far the remixing isn't too bad, though I'll admit that I did not really plan outfits with the pieces I chose besides my "I heart Germany" ensemble (*tear*). My brain just doesn't work that way. I kind of do the same thing when I'm traveling: I pick out things I like and figure I'll just make them work when I get there. So that's what I did with this 30x30 challenge. We'll see if I regret that later.


I'm curious to know if others planned outfits as they were choosing items or if, like me, they picked a bunch of stuff, crossed their fingers, and said to themselves "Make it work" (you've changed my life, Tim Gunn).

10 comments:

  1. I planned probably 1/2 of the outfits and then winged it. I love this look Frances! You really solved the problem of the elastic waist thing! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have to admit I'm pretty in love with it, too. We'll see how creative I get with this skirt in the next few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this looks great! I love the pattern of the skirt and those shoes, yes, they really do go with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the printed skirt, and I think it's a great idea to include things in the challenge that you don't normally wear as often - it's a great way to build new and unique looks!

    can't wait to see how you remix it next!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies! We'll see how I wear this skirt next time - maybe I'll get really creative with it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great skirt
    I shall be starting my challenge on sat as I am at my parents. but thought I would try say hi to everyone and see how its going so far.

    Daisy Dayz Home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooohh the skirt that i wanted to steal haha!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the printed skirt, and I think it's a great idea to include things in the challenge that you don't normally wear as often - it's a great way to build new and unique looks!

    can't wait to see how you remix it next!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  10. I planned probably 1/2 of the outfits and then winged it. I love this look Frances! You really solved the problem of the elastic waist thing! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.