Friday, November 5, 2010

Friend Friday!

This week's Friend Friday topic is one that's close to my heart:

SOAP, SHAMPOO, AND DEODORANT
or How Dirty Are You, Really?



1. The move to do away with soap, shampoo and deodorant has been growing in popularity in the last year. What are your thoughts on this trend?
My mother is going to flip when she reads this, I know she will. Also, yes, mamita, you did raise me better than this ;). BUT! While I was originally skeptical of going without shampoo every day, it has worked wonders for my fine, curly hair. That said, I love me some soap and I am addicted to deodorant. My thing is, if it works for you, it works for you, and while I have encountered some super stinky anti-deodorant folks, I've also probably been around just as many folks whose lack of deodorant I did not even register.

2. Be honest how often do you wash your own hair?

To be quite honest, I don't have a set schedule. I'd say it's two to three times a week, depending on how I've styled it, how I want to style it, the weather, and how it feels to me. I alternate between conditioner rinses or a bit of baby powder on the roots between shampoos - and then only if it's looking greasy or feeling icky. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's the itchiness of dirty hair. This is a fairly new development in my life, I'd say; I've been experimenting with the fewer shampoos for about, six months or so now, and I don't think I'll give up the experimentation any time soon.
So far, though, my hair is nowhere NEAR as greasy as I thought it would get, the curls are much more manageable, and my hair feels so much stronger and healthier. Also, did I mention that my curls love me more? They really do.

3. Have you tried to go the more natural route by forgoing shampoo? What happened? Or would you be tempted to try it?
Yes. I did the baking soda and vinegar thing a couple times - I probably should've stuck to it for a bit longer, but I kept getting vinegar in my eyes and was too lazy to go out and buy a squirt bottle for the vinegar. I plan to try this again at some point, when I've used up the stuff that I've stockpiled or been gifted (my mom always gives me yummy smelling shampoos, especially if I mention in her presence that I like the product). In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say this will happen in Costa Rica when I've run out of shampoo funds. In the meantime, though, I tend to use natural shampoos.

4. What products do you use and have you ever gone with more organic alternatives?

Right. So, I am notoriously unfaithful to my shampoos. There are three shampoos and three conditioners in the shower, no joke, and I use them all. My main thing is no SLS. I won't use a shampoo with the stuff these days.

The three shampoos in my shower are these:
The three conditioners:


5. What about that daily shower? Would you forgo that opting to shower three times a week instead?
I haven't gone there yet, but I did take a cue from an old Shakira song ("Inevitable", if you'd like to know) and I don't take showers on Sundays. [I feel compelled to tell you that one of the lines is about how she doesn't bathe on Sundays.] Also, if I shower late one night, I won't shower the next morning and that might mean no shower the next night, either. I'm okay with that and B. doesn't complain - in fact, he didn't even notice until I told him. So while three times a week isn't quite my thing, I will say that my skin isn't peeling off like it often does - I seriously have crazy dry skin - and that's better than smelling like Dove every day of the week.



So what do y'all think? Am I the only dirty girl around? Am I not dirty enough?


Check out more thoughts on the subject over at Modly Chic.

5 comments:

  1. Haha inevitable!!! I was so happy to hear that because I hate showers and Sundays should be spent doing better things! Seriously we don't get that dirty and at least we aren't showering once a YEAR like in the olden days!
    I've done no shampoo and it works wonders, just need to try it again and stick to it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for not washing hair everyday. I know hair hates to be washed (and I hate washing it and subsequently drying it). I try to push it to once every three days. I'd love it if I could go a whole week, but it usually getting pretty oily and dandruffy after a few.

    Showers however, I like. Daily. I perspire even when I'm not doing anything and if I don't put on deodorant, I will smell. Those are both big yeses for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for not washing hair everyday because it is so drying to my curly wavy hair. I also condition one week and wash my hair the next and my hair is so much more softer. If my hair is straight I can go a week without washing it, if my hair is curly I will have to wash it maybe twice a week. And I only take showers when I wash my hair other that I love to take baths and use fragrant bath soaps.
    During the fall and winter months my skin can get very dry so I use natural lotion with no paraben or mineral oil. I work out so I sweat and I have to use deodorant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that you are not a dirty girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am all for not washing hair everyday because it is so drying to my curly wavy hair. I also condition one week and wash my hair the next and my hair is so much more softer. If my hair is straight I can go a week without washing it, if my hair is curly I will have to wash it maybe twice a week. And I only take showers when I wash my hair other that I love to take baths and use fragrant bath soaps.
    During the fall and winter months my skin can get very dry so I use natural lotion with no paraben or mineral oil. I work out so I sweat and I have to use deodorant.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.