Wednesday, June 23, 2010

World Cup inspiration: Deutschland!

Today is a big football day for me: US vs. Algeria, England vs. Slovenia, Germany vs. Ghana, and Serbia vs. Australia.

I'm supporting Germany today, inspired by the super classy German uniforms:

(image courtesy of World Cup Buzz.)
as well as the German flag:



White men's undershirt: Target (the DIY neckline and hem are all me)
Black ankle zip leggings: H&M
White cami: Target (remixed)
Yellow flowered infinity scarf: J Crew (remixed)
Red seahorse flip flops: Gap (remixed)
Ball earrings: Banana Republic (remixed)
Red beaded bracelets: gifts (remixed)

This outfit is so not what I usually wear, but I have a big day of laundry, football and beginning sewing projects ahead of me, so I figured the leggings were okay since I'm not actually planning to leave the house.


I love cutting the necklines out of men's undershirts and wearing them myself. Usually I wear them for working out or sleeping, but I thought it'd be perfect for my tribute to Germany, so I wore this one today (I even did my little DIY number on it this morning).

I especially love how it turned out in the back.


I like to think that the scarf dresses it up considerably - my tribute to the gold stripe in the flag.


Also, can I just say that I love these earrings? I chose them because they've got a reddish tint to echo the red in the German flag.

So why am I dressing up for Germany on a day when the US is playing? Because this is where I went to high school:

Image courtesy of Cometogermany.com

That's Heidelberg, Germany, a gorgeous city in the Rhine-Neckar region, and it's where I feel like I grew up. I moved there when I was nearly 14 and moved back to the States when I was 17, which is pretty much the ideal time to be a kid from the US living in Europe: you're old enough to really enjoy it, both the day to day and the historic significance. I had my junior prom in the castle on the hill, learned to appreciate public transportation, learned a third language, discovered H&M and Ikea before they came to the States, and traveled throughout Europe. Good times, kids.
And because I have such good memories of my time in Germany, I have this crazy affinity for their national soccer team. So come on, Deutschland! Let's get it done this afternoon!

4 comments:

  1. Love the outfit, and your makeup looks super pretty today too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so nice to get to know a fellow blogger who not only appreciates football, but also shares my love for the Mannschaft! I really like your tribute to the German team, it's very creative :)

    USA's match was amazing, I was really rooting for you guys and felt really happy when you scored the goal at the last minute. as for Germany's match... I could not watch it because I was at work, so I had to listen to it on the radio. I was so nervous!, the idea that Germany might not qualify for the knock-outs was terrifying! and then when I heard the narrator yell "goooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaalllllll" I started crying, but they were tears of joy :)

    well, let's wait for England now. Go, Deutschland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Fer, yesterday was an emotional football day for me, too. Tears! I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have this month off work (I teach) because I'd be going crazy if I had to miss all these games. Hehe. Go Deutschland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bianca: Thanks!

    Fer: Yesterday was an emotional football day for me. There were so many tears! (The good kind, of course.) I'm so glad I have this month off (I teach), because I don't know if I could be productive at work while these games are going on. Hahaha.

    The England game will be tough, but, as always, go Deutschland!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.