Wednesday, April 28, 2010

This is what happens when I don't figure out what I'm going to wear the night before


Vintage dress: thrifted and available here (remixed)
Tan cardigan: Target
Brown woven belt: Target (remixed)
Nude pumps: Nine West (remixed)
Green beaded bracelet: No idea; I found it in one of my jewelry boxes today.
Gold-tone dangly earrings: Kohl's (remixed)

Yeah, I wore this dress on Sunday, but my students didn't know that, so all is well. Anyway, this is how I styled the dress for my no denim workplace. And, yes, you read that right: no denim. Ever. I teach, and I can't wear denim at all. *sigh*


I got some serious compliments on my outfit today, which surprised me. I mean, every time I wear vintage to work I get compliments from the students, but it still surprises me, especially because they think that bright shoes don't match with a neutral outfit.
I like the way the accessories made this outfit feel so different from Sunday's. On Sunday I felt wonderfully Western, ready to ride off into the wild blue singing "Cowboy, Take Me Away". Today, however, with my traditional pumps, my artfully pushed-up sleeves, and my headband, I felt almost fancy. It's pretty and soft and effortless.


I love the way this dress combines florals and stripes. The fabric is very sheer, so I have to wear it with a slip. To be honest, I own two slips, one of which is worn by Roxanne and is an instrument of torture so uncomfortable, that I blame it for my unwillingness to try Spanx no matter what anyone says. The second slip is one that may or may not have been stolen from my mother's drawer many moons ago. I think that makes it vintage. It's such a pretty little thing, all mauve nylon and lace, but I rarely wear it because, really, how often does a woman of the 21st century need a slip? Anyway, the thought of my pretty slip made me feel happy all day long. TMI? Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.